Tuesday 1 March 2016

(Not so) Precious Popularity...

I remember a few years ago thinking that being popular was the most important thing in the world, does everyone like me? will people laugh at me for this? will this fit in? am i popular? are just a few of the questions that use to go through my mind on a regular occasion; looking back on myself now i was caught up in something that really didn't matter and really was a waste of time and thoughts- who cares if everyone likes me, or if something i do isn't the exact same as everyone else. Now being a few years older and more comfortable with myself i strive through self acceptance, happiness and confidence- NOT POPULARITY, i know for a fact that many people somewhere around my age will still think about these 'issues' of popularity and I'm not saying it's wrong, but just think how much more self acceptance and contentedness you would have if you stopped comparing yourself with others;how many friends they have or parties they go to. At the end of the day none of this will be relevant in the future, the main thing is that you enjoy yourself and stay kind to yourself especially through the tough time of school; consisting of lots of work and drama and stress! How many people you know or the amount of likes you get on your profile picture DOES NOT DEFINE YOU AS A PERSON. This is something that i have come across and learnt myself as i have got older, i also know for a fact that i adopted this more self-striving attitude when i got in a relationship with Chad, he definitely made me realise that 90% of my 'worries' were pointless and unneeded, basically just giving me extra stress. I was worrying more about other people's perceptions of me than my own feelings and needs, what was i really achieving? is my question. Rating myself over how many likes i got on social media , how many parties i got invited to, debating if i was 'cool' or not.

So before i ramble on too much i just want to say that although it can be challenging, trying to be more care free about what people think and say about you is definitely the right way to go. It means that you will be able to spend more time thinking about other, more important things, you will become loads more confident and the truth is.. if you are happy and confident with yourself then other people will like you for who you are and want to be around you for your confident and happy personality- or whatever good features you have. The saying 'quality over quantity' says a lot, being yourself will definitely attract the right kind of people who will influence you positively and bring out the best in you- unlike getting yourself wrapped up in the amount of 'friends' you have, which will most likely result in being around a group of fake friends who will bring out the worst in you and bring unnecessary negativity into your life.

I just thought i would contribute my thoughts and feelings on this topic in tonight's blog post, as it definitely use to influence me and most likely still influences other people's perceptions of themselves, 3 tips... Stay true to yourself, be you. Find and hold on to your good true friends, they'll the ones you'll keep in touch with. Do not let others define who you are!

I hope you are all having a good week!



No comments :

Post a Comment